Ready-made chicken coops also known as chicken runs, can be easily be purchased from most farm stores, but it is always far more interesting and exciting to make your own chicken coop. chicken coops secure your chicken from raccoon and dogs and spare you a lot of effort because most of what you will do, is make sure they are well fed and are under clean environment. So either way, bought or self-made you will definitely need the following;
Tips for chicken coops
- Consider the size- the size of a chicken coop will be determined by the number of chicken you will be hosting but I would advise you make it spacious. When a lot of chicken are placed together under limited space they tend to fight and would even cannibalize each other.
- Plan first- if you happen to know about woodwork or you are a carpenter then you need to have a place and draw out how you want your coop to be like. Planning always makes everything much easier trust me, it will save much time.
- Make the chicken coop easy to clean and maintain- make sure that if the chicken coop is a fixed one, it has a well fitted full-size door. This enables one to access the chicken coop easily without having to bend too much. If the poop is dry you can use an ice scraper to clean smooth surfaces.
- Consider the predators- chicken are a favorite snack and has many predators; dogs, hawks, raccoon to mention but a few so you have to have a chicken coop with a top and make it a wooden floor to prevent mice, finally make sure the wall is solid strong, when a raccoon is determined trust me it will rip off your coop.
- Get the right kind of coop- by this I mean make sure it has comfy nesting boxes and enough space for the chicken to move around.